Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Handlebar: Big Bikes and Rock & Roll

Image borrowed from Jovan Farren
When traveling back to Manila from Cebu, I usually have my friends pick me up so we can go straight to a bar and catch up. The first bar I usually have in mind is Handlebar, It has always been a favorite destination to hear great music and enjoy ice cold Red Horse beer while eating their awesome appetizers.

The first time I came to the place, Wally Gonzales’ Band was playing, Ryan one of my closest friends and my frat brother took me there to meet up with his girl and her best friend Kat Agarrado from Sino Sikat? Wally Gonzales is a legend. We used to go every Thursday night to hear him play at Chaquico’s in Makati Avenue where Kat was also one of his featured singers. I also had the chance to chat with Paolo Manuel of The Jerks, a schoolmate from San Agustin, Makati. It’s seldom for me to get to talk about music and the scene since I stopped entertaining the illusion that I can be a rock star when I was still in high school, but the thought had always haunted me. I still wish I could have been a rock star.  Last time I was there it was Razorback playing, I didn’t even know they still played until that night. It took me back to the days when I often tagged along with Wolfgang and Razorback when they had gigs, since my ex-girlfriend’s friend was Manuel Legarda’s girl. Handlebar has always been a place I felt at home, even if I’m not a biker.

Handlebar is hardcore biker bar, and steak house and home to the Mad Dog Motorcycle Club located in the busy and exotic area of Burgos Street and Makati Avenue. Harley Davidson and BMW motorcycles are a regular sight at the front of the bar. It’s a bar run by bikers for bikers. The bar itself looks like it came out of those biker movies with the rowdy crowd, you don’t have to worry though, these guys are bad ass but they’re all good. When you see a guy in black leather vest with a bulldog patch on it, just don’t get too cocky or you might just end up going out through the window.


On days where there are no bands playing, you can enjoy playing pool while watching your favorite sports channels on the wide screen LCDs and projectors inside and at their al fresco dining area outside.The special thing about handlebar is you can grill your own steaks at the al fresco area, and help yourself to potatoes and other side dishes already prepared on the grill. The steaks are surprisingly cheap compared to other steak houses, 3-pieces of lamb chops costs Php528 while a 12oz Pork chop costs Php389.


Handlebar Bar and Grill is located at 31 Polaris Street, Bel-Air Village, Makati City parallel to Burgos street. You call contact them though 63-2 898-2189 or visit their website at http://www.handlebar.com.ph/. You can also add them on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/note.php?saved&&note _id=429987817611#!/ handlebarmanila?ref=ts

No comments:

Post a Comment